The History Department has several scholarships that are granted annually based upon the availability of funds. Students should apply by downloading and submitting a completed application to the departmental office (TMH 202) by the following deadlines:
Upper-level Presidential Scholarship: February 15 (or the next working day if February 15 falls on a weekend.)
All other undergraduate and graduate scholarships: March 10 (or the next working day if March 10 falls on a weekend.)
Brunson Family Endowed Scholarship
Dennis And Margaret Dunn Scholarship
a) current students, both undergraduate and graduate, with a minimum of 3.5 GPA.
b) incoming freshmen who have a minimum ACT Composite score of 27, or an SAT score of 1150, and rank in the top 10% of his/her graduating class.
a) One should be a teacher whose specialty is the same as or most similar to the applicant’s major.
b) One should be a teacher who can describe the applicant’s abilities.
c) One should be an individual who can best provide a description of those personal qualities and attributes that make the applicant a suitable scholarship recipient. (Relatives are not considered suitable references.)
a) Merit will be determined by GPA, ACT or SAT scores, letters of reference, or other appropriate measures. Scholarships can be awarded solely on ground of merit.
b) Need will be determined by the Texas State Financial Aid Office, which will inform the Committee of an applicant’s financial need status.
a) to maintain an overall and semester-by-semester Texas State University GPA of 3.5 or above.
b) remain a major in International Studies or History.
c) to enroll for at least 15 hours per semester if they are undergraduates or at least 9 hours if they are graduate students.
James W. Pohl Scholarship
a) one from the director of the thesis
b) one from another faculty member.
Fitzpatrick – Clayton – Kissler Scholarship
a) students who are seeking teacher certification in history or
b) graduate students who already have their teacher certification but who are continuing their education.
Michael R. Davis Scholarship
a) to maintain an overall and semester-by-semester GPA of 3.5 or higher.
b) to enroll in at least 6 semester hours
Eligibility and Application Requirements
1. Recipient(s) should be enrolled at Texas State University for a minimum of 12 hours per semester for undergraduate students and a minimum of 6 hours per semester for graduate students.
2. Recipients must maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 for freshmen, 3.25 for continuing and transfer students, and 3.5 for graduate students.
3. Entering freshmen must be in the top 25 percent quartile of their graduating class.
4. Consideration will be given to students with a financial need as documented through the Texas State Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.
5. Consideration will be given for documented leadership, extra-curricular activities and community service.
Preference will be given to a family member of a faculty or staff retiree of Texas State University, although all applicants will be considered. Application must be submitted to August 1.
Download the RFSA Scholarship Application
Application must be mailed to:
Texas State University
Attn: Kimberly Garrett
601 University Drive, JCK-480
San Marcos, Texas 78666